About the Society
The 1588 Barrington Building Preservation Society is a not-for-profit organization made up of representatives from Khyber Arts Society, Friends of the Khyber, and Neptune Theatre, along with a broad range of artists and community professionals who are dedicated to restoring the Khyber Building
What We Believe In
Our Vision: To create an arts-centered space that is physically, economically, and culturally accessible where critically engaged communities connect.
Our Mission: To activate the Khyber Building as a publicly accessible, inclusive, and sustainable arts, community, and cultural space.
- Experimentation, flexibility, accessibility, and creative expression;
- The autonomous mandates of resident tenants;
- Sustaining the historical architectural character of the building.
- To restore and adapt the Khyber Building in a way that respects and retains its full architectural heritage value, interior and exterior, and sustain it as a cultural hub and arts incubator in heart of downtown Halifax;
- To advance the public’s appreciation of the arts by developing a cultural and community hub for the creation of new artistic works in all media, and for the public presentation of art exhibitions, films, and musical, theatrical and other performing arts presentations; and by making these presentations accessible to diverse audiences while working to eliminate or minimize physical, cultural, and financial barriers;
- To support collaborative initiatives that mutually benefit the tenants of the Khyber Building and other members of the 1588 Society, facilitating cooperation, communications and respectful interactions.
Read the Plan
Read the plan our group prepared for Halifax Regional Council detailing how we can reactivate the Khyber Building as hub for creative activity in downtown Halifax. Please note that this plan was prepared with the municipal staff as our main audience. We submitted a revised proposal, based on this plan, to the city in May of 2017.