Who We Are
The 1588 Barrington Building Preservation Society is a not-for-profit society made up of representatives from three groups:
- The Khyber Arts Society, who runs the Khyber Centre for the Arts on Hollis Street
- Friends of the Khyber, an advocacy group formed to save the Khyber Building
- Neptune Theatre, Atlantic Canada’s largest region theatre, and neighbour to the Khyber Building on two sides
Mission & Mandate
Mission Statement: To activate the Khyber Building as a publicly accessible, inclusive, and sustainable arts, community, and cultural space.
- To advance the public’s appreciation of the arts by promoting the development of the Khyber Building (1588 Barrington Street) as a cultural and community hub and arts incubator in downtown Halifax;
- To develop a proposal to Halifax Regional Municipality to activate the Khyber Building as a publicly accessible, inclusive, and sustainable arts, community, and cultural space;
- To advance the public’s appreciation of the arts by developing a cultural and community hub for the creation of new artistic works in all media, and for the public presentation of art exhibitions, of films, and of musical, theatrical and other performances; and by making these presentations accessible to diverse audiences while working to eliminate or minimize physical, cultural, and financial barriers;
- In the case that the Halifax Regional Municipality sells the Khyber Building to the Society, to operate the building as an arts incubator that offers community access and educational outreach;
- To support collaborative initiatives that mutually benefit the tenants of the Khyber Building and/or the Society;
- To facilitate interaction, cooperation and communications among Khyber Building tenants; and
- To identify opportunities for sharing resources among Khyber Building tenants.
Read the Plan
Read the plan our group prepared for Halifax Regional Council detailing how we can re-activate the Khyber Building as hub for creative activity in downtown Halifax. Please note that this plan was prepared with the municipal staff as our main audience. We will be reworking this plan as we move towards submitting an official proposal for the community stream public hearing process.