About the Society
The 1588 Barrington Building Preservation Society is a not-for-profit organization made up of representatives from Khyber Arts Society, Friends of the Khyber, and Neptune Theatre, along with a broad range of artists and community professionals who are dedicated to restoring the Khyber Building.
What We Believe In
Our vision is a critically engaged community where artists connect and thrive in a space that is physically, economically and culturally accessible.
Our mission is to create collaborative multidisciplinary space that nurtures creativity, encourages experimentation and supports the development of artists and new artistic expression.
- Creativity and the role creative activities can play in forming a more critically engaged, innovative and connected community;
- Flexibility and fostering a dynamic environment in which experimentation can take place;
- Accessibility and providing opportunities for all artists and their audiences, including those from marginalized communities, by eliminating or minimizing physical, cultural, and financial barriers;
- Sustainability and operating in ways that seek to be financially and environmentally responsible;
- Cooperation and interacting in ways that are productive and respectful;
- Autonomy and the artistic and operational independence of the organizations and artists who utilize our space;
- Heritage, including the architectural character of 1588 Barrington Street and the importance of preserving it.
- managing a multi-tenant facility dedicated to the creation and production of artistic works by emerging and established professional artists in the Halifax Regional Municipality, including visual arts, music, theatre, literary arts and interdisciplinary arts;
- fostering innovative collaborations and conversations between artists and arts organizations working in a variety of disciplines;
- advancing the public’s appreciation of the arts by facilitating and coordinating exhibitions, educational programs and other experiences delivered by resident and visiting arts organizations and artists.
Read the Plan
Read the plan our group prepared for Halifax Regional Council detailing how we can reactivate the Khyber Building as hub for creative activity in downtown Halifax. Please note that this plan was prepared with the municipal staff as our main audience. We submitted a revised proposal, based on this plan, to the city in May of 2017.
Read the Feasibility Study & Business Plan
AL Arbic Consulting conducted a feasibility study and further developed the business plan for the Turret Arts Space. Read the Feasibility Study and Business Plan published in October 2018.
This project is funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Province of Nova Scotia. Ce projet est financé en partie par le gouvernement du Canada et le gouvernement de la Nouvelle-Écosse.